The Do’s and Don’ts of Tipping

2009
10.14

MoneyI will be so excited when people learn how to properly tip!  I myself am a waitress, and I really work hard to keep my tables happy.  It dampens my spirits when I try so hard to provide good service, and get no recognition.  I can understand that if you go out to a restaurant, and the service isn’t all that great, then you can leave a so-so tip.  On the other hand if you have great service, then show your server that you appreciate them providing you with a great experience.

I am one to say that I cannot stand when I receive a “verbal tip” only.  The guest will tell the server how wonderful the night was, and go on with the compliments to make the server feel great, but when the server goes to collect the payment the tip doesn’t reflect those comments.  I can understand going to a buffet or a fast food place, and not tipping.  What the hell did they really do that they aren’t already getting paid for?  You can leave them a tip for the work they did, and the type of attitude they had.  If someone goes out of their way to accommodate you with a pleasant attitude, then sure tip them.

Actual restaurants pay the servers around $2 to $3 an hour plus tips, but there are “tip-outs” taken out at the end of the shifts.  Servers don’t get to keep all their hard earned tips.  A share has to go to bartenders, host/hostess, and bussers.  No matter how much the server gets tipped they have to automatically tip-out a percentage of their sales for the shift.

WaitressTipping 15% of your total bill would be the recommended gratuity.  Another point to be made would be when you get comps or guarantees to still tip as if they weren’t ever taken off.  If you receive one because there was something wrong with your meal, and it is the kitchens fault, then do not take it out on your server.  It isn’t their fault if your food came out with the wrong side or not cooked to your liking.  If it wasn’t the servers fault, then tip them as if the problem wasn’t there.  You have already been taken care of by the manager so don’t take it out on the server.

I used to work at a restaurant where there were $20 or $25 comps sent out to promote and get them to come back again.  Every so often when guests would come in with these comps, they basically got their meal for free or had to pay a few dollars, and almost always didn’t tip.  That is definitely the wrong attitude to have.  Serving is my job!  I don’t go in for $2.13 an hour to take care of your every need. I go above and beyond to keep you happy!  I depend on you to feed my family basically.  If I don’t make enough in tips, then how am I suppose to provide the basic needs for my family?

Why even go out if you don’t have the money to tip your server.  I know everyone deserves to get out of the house, enjoy time with friends and family, or celebrate something, but don’t short your server.  Go to a fast food restaurant if you want a cheap meal, and don’t want to tip someone.  Now for the people who know how to tip and appreciate all the hard work most servers give, thank you.  Those kind of people make this job worth the effort.

Tags: , , , ,

18 Responses to “The Do’s and Don’ts of Tipping”

1. Springs1 says:

“It isn’t their fault if your food came out with the wrong side”

YES IS ALWAYS IS UNLESS SOMEONE ELSE BROUGHT OUT THE FOOD, WHICH EVEN THEN, IF MY SERVER PUT IN THE ORDER WRONG, IT’S THEIR FAULT!! My husband and I have had a situation once where our waitress put in the order wrong. She put in ribs instead of a burger. My husband ordered a burger, not ribs, but another server brought out ribs. That wasn’t that other server’s fault, because she can only go by the ticket and the kitchen staff can only go by the ticket.

The only way the wrong side dish is not their fault is if they put in the order correctly, but another server delivered the side dish wrong. Either way though, that other server was still PART of the service though, which means points off. It’s not fair that we should pay a good tip for poor service.

“not cooked to your liking.’

If my server brought out my food, it could be their fault if it’s obvious to the EYES it’s not cooked as I have ordered. You can tell just by LOOKING at bacon(unless it is covered up by something of course) if it’s crispy or not if it was ordered crispy. You can tell just by LOOKING at a rare steak that it’s not well done. You can tell just by LOOKING at overdone dark brown fries when ordered “not overdone, yellow, lightly cooked” fries.

If another server brought out obviously wrong cooked food, my server could have put in the order wrong making it their fault. If they did put the order in correctly and someone else brought out the food obviously wrong, points off still due to that person was in the service that wasted the customer’s time bringing out wrong food, creating a delay due to that other server that most likely didn’t compare the ticket to the food BEFORE bringing it out to the customer since the MAIN SERVER is the person making the tip, NOT that other server.

“If it wasn’t the servers fault, then tip them as if the problem wasn’t there.”

That is one thing I 100% agree with. If the kitchen staff messed up such as forgetting to make the food or losing the ticket or dropping your food, or because you are a regular getting a comp, etc., I would tip based on the original amount and ALWAYS HAVE in that situation unless the service was bad. We have been in that situation many of times where we’d get something comped due to being a regular customer or had a problem with the previous visit receiving the comp this time around, which we have ALWAYS based our tip on the original bill as long as the service was good, which most of the times I can think of it was.

2. Springs1 says:

“It isn’t their fault if your food came out with the wrong side”

I didn’t mention this on my last post, because it’s common sense, but I see that you have mentioned this, so you aren’t thinking about this as common sense:

Once, for example, we had a waiter at Logan’s Roadhouse that not only took our order, but also brought out our food. He brought out mac n’ cheese when I ordered a loaded baked potato as one of the 2 sides. The other side he got correct the fries. My point is, if you cannot tell just by ((((LOOKING))) at a side dish or entrée if it’s right or wrong if YOU took the order, then either it’s covered up by something or you are BLIND!! This was a STUPID EXAMPLE!! Think before you write next time.

3. mandi says:

You must run into these problems often for you to get so heated up about the subject. I guess I shouldn’t be speaking for the servers that you have encountered. I didn’t ask you to think before you wrote, so you shouldn’t ask me to do the same. You and I both have our own opinions, and we don’t have to agree on what the other has to say. You should join and post something for yourself, or start a topic in the forums. Have fun. 🙂

4. Springs1 says:

Mandi

“You and I both have our own opinions, and we don’t have to agree on what the other has to say.”

NOTHING I have said was an “OPINION” besides the fact that I will tip based on BEFORE a discount if I have good service, which some people wouldn’t agree. THAT is an opinion, every single thing else I said was a FACT!!

How can you possibly say if someone gets the wrong side dish from THEIR SERVER it’s the kitchen staff’s fault, huh? It’s IMPOSSIBLE unless you cannot ****SEE***** the side dish. THAT IS THE GOD’S TRUTH, NOT, I repeat, NOT an opinion. It is a FACT!! My server brings out my food, they can **SEE with their EYES** if it’s the wrong side dish. The server hopefully WROTE down the order, so when they bring it out, they can compare the written order to the plates of food to make sure they are BRINGING out the correct food to the customer.

“I didn’t ask you to think before you wrote, so you shouldn’t ask me to do the same.”

WHY? I am not the one writing a LIE, am I? It is IMPOSSIBLE for the wrong side dish to be the kitchen staff’s fault no matter WHO brings out the food. The person bringing out the food can verify it BEFORE bringing it out. If the ticket is wrong if another server happens to bring out the food, that’s on the server for putting in the order wrong to begin with. This is COMMON SENSE, GET SOME!! Don’t you tell me I need to think about what I write, LOOK IN THE MIRROR AT WHO DOESN’T HAVE COMMON SENSE!! ANY IDIOT would know that if a customer can notice they have the wrong side dish within 2-5 seconds of it hitting the table without TOUCHING a thing, so can the SERVER that took the order can do the same and so can the other server do the same if the ticket was put in correctly.

In this picture, you can see some plates have corn as a side dish, so if someone substituted fries instead of corn, GUESS WHAT? If you are my server and brought it out that corn to me on one of those plates, YOU’D BE AT FAULT FOR WASTING MY TIME BRINGING ME THE WRONG FOOD YOU IDIOT!!

You have a set of EYES that can SEE don’t you? Then, since you do, you could have seen it BEFORE it got to the customer’s table wrong by PREVENTING that mistake. It’s YOUR FAULT 100% if you are the server that took the order and brough it out with the wrong side dish, which in this example is corn when it was supposed to be fries. ARE YOU BLIND? You act like it. There’s NO OPINION HERE, this is a ******FACT********!! THINK BEFORE YOU WRITE!!

It’s YOU that needs to think BEFORE you write!!

5. Serve This says:

Springs1 wrote:

“If you are my server and brought it out that corn to me on one of those plates, YOU’D BE AT FAULT FOR WASTING MY TIME BRINGING ME THE WRONG FOOD YOU IDIOT!!”

Springs1 wrote:

“It is IMPOSSIBLE for the wrong side dish to be the kitchen staff’s fault no matter WHO brings out the food. The person bringing out the food can verify it BEFORE bringing it out.”

Mandi wrote:

“If it wasn’t the servers fault, then tip them as if the problem wasn’t there.”

This isn’t entirely correct. It should read,

“If it wasn’t the servers fault and the issue was resolved properly, without trying to point fingers at other staff, then tip them as if the problem wasn’t there.”

In the words of Rodney King, “Can we get along?”

6. Springs1 says:

Serve This
    “The only waste I see is the oxygen, bandwidth and hard drive space it takes to keep you complaining about nothing. Let’s be serious here, your husband must be one miserable human being to live with you day in and day out. I’m sure his only satisfaction is to dream of a new life without you in it.”

You are just MADDDDD that I just tell it like it IS, the TRUTH!! Otherwise, WHY would you write things that do NOT PERTAIN to this conversation, huh?

“So if this person verifies the order “BEFORE bringing it out” and discovers that the kitchen staff made a mistake, who’s fault is it then? The little man that turns off the light in the refrigerator when you shut the door? No, it’s the kitchen staff’s fault and the only difference, is that the problem was caught before the food could be delivered to the table.”

While it’s the kitchen staff fault if they mess up something when the order was put in correctly, it is NOT if the customer receives the wrong side dish from THEIR server you IDIOT!! My point was the KITCHEN STAFF IS NOT THE PERSON DELIVERING YOUR FOOD THAT COULD HAVE ***SEEN**** THE MISTAKE ****BEFORE**** YOU DID IF YOU WERE MY SERVER, GET WHAT I AM SAYING HERE? If I can see a “DUH” mistake when you delivered our food as our waitress did at Denny’s that had I saw on the TRAY that was on the tray jack **BEFORE** even putting it in front of me, that I had onion rings when I ORDERED seasoned fries.

If the original server which is the person MAKING the tip delivers the food to the customer, THEY have to verify if the food has the correct side dish, entrée, and any bottles or containers of condiments that were ordered BEFORE leaving the kitchen. So even if the kitchen staff messed up INITIALLY, the customer will NEVER KNOW about the mess up if MY SERVER would be RESPONSIBLE, NON-LAZY, and CARING about their tip as well as their customers to verify the plates of food BEFORE bringing them to their customers.

I was talking about if the CUSTOMER gets the wrong side dish if the server was the server that took the order if they put in the order wrong or they brought out the food wrong(which has happened to us that both mistakes happened in one dining experience where the server didn’t verify the food and admitted putting in the order wrong into the computer.)

I wasn’t talking about the INITAL mess ups you STUPID FOOL!! Get some COMMON SENSE!!

I am talking about that Mandi said on her blog this “It isn’t the their fault if your food came out with the wrong side”, well that is 100% SO UNTRUE and a VERY FALSE STATEMENT, UNLESS your server didn’t bring out your food and the order was put in correctly into the computer. If YOUR server brings you YOUR FOOD, they can notice if the side dish is not correct. THAT WAS MY POINT!! It was NOT about who is INTIALLY at fault, but WHO makes the wrong side dish get to the customer is the point here. The wrong side dish/entrée wouldn’t get to the customer if the server put in the order correctly and if the original server brought out the food with verifying all components they can *SEE* WITHOUT having to TOUCH ONE THING that if they did catch the mistake, they would have fixed it BEFORE it became a customer issue. Understand my point? EARNING your tip is what it’s called.

“If this person delivering the food does not catch the kitchen staff’s mistake and is not the original server, ASSuming that the order was written down correctly, it is not the original server’s fault. At this point, the original server is put in the position to correct the issue and apologize without blaming anyone. In this example, the tip should not be effected by this mistake.”

For one thing, written down correctly doesn’t mean not pressing the wrong button, which HAS happened to my food before, which I think the waiter wrote it down correctly, but just as he admitted he said he “PRESSED THE WRONG BUTTON”, which is VERY POSSIBLE. Now, if it’s a written ticket(no computers), I have had a waitress admitted that the kitchen staff misunderstood her handwriting, so which means it was her fault she wrote so poorly.

As far as not getting points off the tip for a wrong side dish, sorry, but that person was IN MY SERVICE, so the tip is FOR THE SERVICE you know, don’t you? WHY should I pay well for my side being wrong or forgotten about regardless of WHO did it in the service? Then, the original server will not go to their manager to complain about the co-worker that messed up their tip and the service will NEVER IMPROVE!!

While I understand it is unfair to punish the server, it is also just as unfair to punish the customer that they should have to pay well for not so good service. Think about it. I had a waiter once forget my side of fries at Outback when I also ordered an entrée salad, because I guess it was just a side dish, so it got forgotten. Still took points off. WHY? WHY not? It’s not FAIR to the customer to pay as if nothing went wrong that was major like that. That is MAJOR to have an entrée or a side dish wrong or forgotten about. WHY should I pay for service I am NOT satisfied for with a good tip?

I had another server at Outback another time forget my baked potato because I ordered an appetizer as well making a meal out of that. Of course I took points off. My server didn’t fix the mistake as you said they would. I had 2 baked potatos given from 2 different servers, which by the time I received the second one(not communication obviously), I had just about finished my baked potato. Do you see WHY I would take off points? Interruptions unnecessarily and NO ONE, NOT EVEN our waiter said they were sorry ONCE. I don’t even know if they put in the order right or what, but since this was an obvious mistake that the person delivering my food could have caught, I will take off unlike something that the person delivering the food couldn’t know about such as if a steak is medium instead of medium well for example just by looking or if I had a pickle under my bun or raw chicken. The things that no one can tell just by looking at it I don’t take off points unless the SERVER admits fault.

The tip should ALWAYS be affected by **ONLY OBVIOUS** MISTAKES that can be seen BEFORE being brought to the table REGARDLESS OF WHO messed up BRINGING IT OUT. Customers aren’t babysitters. We aren’t there to point out it isn’t correct when the person comes to bring it out without even getting to leave the table even. The tip is for ********SERVICE********, NOT WHO did what IN THE SERVICE!! While the tip goes to the server, customers shouldn’t be made to be punished to have to pay well for crappy service. Look at it from OUR point of view. That situation with the baked potato. The waiter didn’t even apologize. He wasn’t attentive either. He got 11%. Reasons : 1. No apology from our waiter
    2. The other server didn’t apologize that messed up(assuming the ticket was correct)
    3. I didn’t mention this, but that other server also dropped some of the little bread pieces off the tray, which meant I had to wait for him to get more, which he did apologize for that, ANOTHER DELAY.
    4. The long delay in getting the side dish I wanted to EAT WITH ALL MY FOOD, not just some.
    5. The interruption of the other server trying to serve me a baked potato I had eaten already just about.

Do you think I should give a good tip for that? Honestly, if YOU would have gone through it, you would have taken off points too!!! If you wouldn’t have, you are creating the problems customers have. If the good tips would stop for crappy service, TEAM WORK would happen much more often instead of it being a rarity as it is in restaurants today.

Even if he would have apologized, a GOOD, CARING waiter would have asked the manager to COMP the baked potato or a coke for our inconvenience, honestly. Instead, today we get UNCARING people that serve us sometimes, so we are just as uncaring back. See, if the waiter would have SHOWED he cared, he would have gotten a much better tip than just 11%, probably 18%-19% before the discount. Show you care, we will, otherwise, WHY should we care about you if you don’t care about our happiness by trying to make-up for it somehow, even if it wasn’t through YOUR fault? You want a good tip, go that extra mile, otherwise, WHY should we in the tip? Get what I am saying here? Show us you don’t we won’t care about your tip as much? What goes around, comes around.

I will say this, if he and the other server would have apologized for the mistake, we would have tipped 14% instead. The more uncaring you are, the more uncaring we will be in the tip. Show us you care, then we will care more when it comes tip time.

7. mandi says:

Ma’am, what is with all the inappropriate name calling? It is unnecessary to talk to a complete stranger that way. If you feel compelled to comment back, then don’t, unless you can in a polite and constructive manner. We are all adults here, so lets act like one.

8. Cassey says:

I cannot believe my eyes!

I give a lot of praise to waitresses and servers, especially the ones that go out of their way to make my food experience wonderful!

The fact of the matter is, people make mistakes. Whether or not some one brings me a burger instead of a steak, or corn instead of french fries, it does not effect my tipping out at the end of my meal! For example:

I am in a restaurant and I order a 9 oz sirloin with a loaded baked potato and they bring me fries instead, when my server comes around or when I see my server I am not going to freak out or leave less than a tip just because a simple mistake was made!! That is ridiculous! In the end, you are going to eat your food, and enjoy it!! So they bring you fries, take a bite of your steak and chew in the 5 seconds it takes your server to bring you out a fresh loaded baked potato! I mean are you really going to shove fries or a bite of baked potato in your mouth while chewing on a scrumptious piece of half masticated cow? Just asking, because that would not be very lady like or mannerly!

If you live in denial and think you never made a simple mistake, man I need to hang out with you because my halo doesn’t float on my head!

Maybe if people had more respect and were more understanding of others then they would appreciate things more and not get so worked up and freak out because their meal was not correct. Walk a shift in a server or waitresses shoes and see if you feel the same! Deal with all the BS and rude customers they have to deal with on a daily basis! And by all means, lets continue to make this world a better place by leaving a good tip on the basis of “if they get my food right or not”! I am glad that customer service and problem solving and communication skills and being courteous have nothing to do with leaving a good tip or not!! My sarcasm is coming out there a bit!!

Ms Waitress Keep doing what your doing!! And when you come across people like this lovely blogger, by all means, have patience!! I know its hard, but come on they are under the impression that you are not there to work or make a living, you are just there to serve them! (Again Sarcasm!)

9. Springs1 says:

Cassey
    “I am in a restaurant and I order a 9 oz sirloin with a loaded baked potato and they bring me fries instead, when my server comes around or when I see my server I am not going to freak out or leave less than a tip just because a simple mistake was made!! That is ridiculous! So they bring you fries, take a bite of your steak and chew in the 5 seconds it takes your server to bring you out a fresh loaded baked potato!”

It takes SEVERAL MINUTES to fix certain mistakes for one thing. I have waited literally 4-5 minutes at times for a side of ranch and a side of bbq sauce of all things. What is RIDICULOUS is that YOU are the type of person that MAKES this type of bad service happen by making them BE THAT UNCARING AND LAZY ASS as to COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDER TO THE PLATE OF FOOD ************************BEFORE*********************************** leaving the kitchen. I am not saying some RARE times, even if you verify the written order, that you may miss something, but it happens TOO OFTEN in restaurants to tell me that they really compare the written orders to the food BEFORE they deliver the food to the customer’s table.

You are PROMOTING LAZINESS!!

I like to eat my food TOGETHER such as when I get a burger with fries, I will take a bite of my burger and eat a frie with it dipping the fry in ranch. I will also want mayo and mustard on the burger as well. So if they forget that stuff, I end up sitting there until they bring it. That affects that I cannot eat when the food arrives HOT, meaning it gets cooler by the minute, especially in the summer months when air conditioning is full blasting in restaurants. It’s rather frustrating when you are waiting to eat your food(ANY OF IT) without the condiments you DID order with your food that your server COULD have offered to bring that out ahead of time PREVENTING such a mistake from happening.

It’s not always about the amount of time, it’s mostly about the ***LACK OF CARING*** and ***LACK OF EFFORT***, because most of the time, the servers aren’t verifying anything and just bringing out the food. That pisses me off that they are being LAZY at their job. I was NEVER that type of worker at ANY of the jobs I have had in my lifetime.

What is ridiculous is to PAY someone 20% plus for being LAZY ASS and do they even APOLOGIZE? If they don’t, LESS TIP they get than if they are NICE about it. An apology is the KEY to getting a better tip in a lot of customer’s eyes, not just mine. WHY can’t the servers of today say they are sorry when all I say is something like “I ordered a side of ranch”(nicely) and they can’t say they are sorry that *THEY* FORGOT to bring it from the kitchen to our table.

It’s ridiculous that you wouldn’t take off for them DELAYING YOU FROM EATING all because of PURE UNCARING AND LAZINESS they have in them. It’s NOT 99.9% of the times mistakes when there are obvious errors that come to the table from YOUR SERVER(not another server), it’s usually the server didn’t compare the written order to the plates of food.

A lot of servers are LAZY today, WHY pay them well, when you can pay well the ones that BUST ASS for you that GET your food correctly to your table as far as what is in their control? Don’t you think the ones that BUST ASS EARN MUCH MORE than the LAZY AND UNCARING ONES OUT THERE? I want my server to compare the written order to the plate of food. It’s easy to have noticed the wrong items are on the plates. It’s all about laziness and being uncaring about anyone else but their tip.

You are PROMOTING the servers to KEEP bringing out obviously wrong food to the table. No wonder why service is terrible at times, because of people like YOU that tip well no matter what. You are one of the people that CAUSE bad service. If everyone would tip like we do, servers would **LEARN** from it and mistakes would be a RARITY instead of commonplace. It’s called Positive and Negative reinforcement.

“Negative reinforcement is an increase in the future frequency of a behavior when the consequence is the removal of an aversive stimulus”

Removal of some of the tip is punishment, therefore the server TRIES HARDER next time around not to do that sort of stupid thing again.

“Positive reinforcement is an increase in the future frequency of a behavior due to the addition of a stimulus immediately following a response.”

The server sees they got a wonderful tip 20% plus tip for not messing up, thus continues to try their VERY BEST.

A good example, had a waiter we had a bunch of times, tipped him 25%-26% most of the times, even once 28%. Well, once, he did not so well, so we tipped 14%. Guess what, the next times, he shaped up his game by doing his best instead of doing what he did that other time. Since then, gave us wonderful service everytime since. Now he’s a manager, that’s how good he was. Anyway, you show you mean business by lowering the tip for bad service, it’s like a BRIBE to get the person to try their HARDEST not to mess up instead of be lazy. That day we left 14%, he wasn’t trying his best at all. More money = better service. Less money = not so good service. You want a good tip everytime, do your best. Even if you mess up, but you try to make-up for it instead of not caring such as in your example comping the side dish or a soft drink for the mess up whether you get your manager to do it or do it yourself, then you will see the money flowing. Show you don’t care, then WHY should the customer care, unlike you that only cares about the server’s money, not about yourself as you should since it is YOUR HARD EARNED MONEY that is paying for the service. Shouldn’t you get good service out of it? WHY should you have to wait ONE second more for the correct side dish if it was brought incorrectly by your server? You shouldn’t.

The entire point of the tip is to make the server do their job CORRECTLY as much as they possibly can by trying their very best. A LOT and I mean, A LOT of servers out there are too lazy to care.

One example, a waiter brought out a tray with another table’s food as well as me and my husband’s entrées. Our waiter I saw with my own 2 eyes didn’t check each plate to make sure which plates went to which table as any LAZY server would do. He put in front of my husband frie shrimp w/fries when he ordered crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. Turns out, our waiter admitted he didn’t grab the correct entrée from the kitchen. So, not only was he too lazy to compare which entrées went to which table at the very least, but he also neglected to make sure he was bringing out the correct entrées for each table by comparing the written orders to the plates of food in the kitchen. Anyway, he wss very apologetic about it and fixed it immediately. Tipped 17% due to the APOLOGIES and fixed it BAM, right away. Still took points off for being LAZY ASS. You don’t just AIMLESSLY hand out food. Maybe at McDonald’s you can do that sort of thing, but NOT when you are supposed to **EARN** your tip. You are supposed to **WORK** for your money to not be that lazy ass. He was stupid to not at least look at the written orders to make sure which entrées went to which table at the very least. He could have discovered his mistake BEFORE putting that wrong entrée in front of my husband, but was too UNCARING and LAZY TOO!! This isn’t fast food, so don’t act like it.

My point is, you would have probably tipped 20% plus, am I right? HOW can the server **LEARN** to be CARING and NOT SO LAZY ASS as to not compare the food to the written orders. WHY WRITE IT DOWN IF THE FINAL RESULT IS OBVIOUSLY WRONG? If you are my server, you should KNOW what I ordered, NOT by memory, by a WRITTEN ORDER!!

If another server delivers the food obviously wrong, the order could have been put in wrong by the original server that took the order. If they did put the order in correctly, it still should affect the tip, because it’s a DELAY and/or interruption in the service.

WHY should anyone go to a restaurant thinking they will get bad service, huh? Do you see the glass half empty or something? I see it half full where you should get perfect service and if there are some mistakes that happen, they are small or they rarely happen when you do go instead of mistakes like this happening A LOT in restaurants due to servers like that waiter that delivered the completely wrong food to my husband. I SAW HE DIDN’T ONCE, NOT ONCE ***TRY*** TO HAND THE PLATES OUT CORRECTLY by not getting out his pad of paper with the written orders. THAT in-of-itself pisses me off the most. THE LACK OF EFFORT AND CARING SERVERS HAVE TODAY PISSES ME OFF!!

“Walk a shift in a server or waitresses shoes and see if you feel the same!”

Walk in the CUSTOMER’S SHOES every single weekend for years and years getting your food wrong time and time again, then see how it feels then.

I don’t need to, because I have served customers, just at a donut shop/diner for a little over 2 yrs about 10 yrs ago. While it is very different, I STILL DEALT with customers, served them REAL FOOD such as burgers, biscuits, chicken sandwiches, etc. ,things of that nature, just on a much smaller level than a server.

I will always feel the same, because being a customer will always be in my mind. I would always for instance bring soft drinks BEFORE mixed drinks for example to think of customer’s thirst as some servers don’t, because they are uncaring and lazy. I would always check over my written order for ALL PLATES of food BEFORE EVER EVEN DREAMING OF BRINGING OUT FOOD!! I wouldn’t do that sort of lazy thing as they do. I would very the check for overcharges. I would do everything I could and when I would mess up, I’d ask the manager to comp something instead of not care as a lot of servers do out there. If the manager wouldn’t, I’d take $2 out my own pocket to try to make-up for their inconvenience, unlike you. I bet you wouldn’t dream of taking your own money, now would you?

“If you live in denial and think you never made a simple mistake,”

The thing you don’t understand is, for example that waiter didn’t make a “MISTAKE”, he was just too LAZY ASS to even TRY ONCE to COMPARE THE WRITTEN ORDERS TO THE PLATES HE WAS BRINGING OUT TO BEGIN WITH, MUCH LESS when he had the tray on tray jack handing out food aimlessly. You don’t call that a mistake. A TRUE, REAL mistake is when you have TRIED AND THEN FAILED, NOT NEVER ONCE GAVE IT A TRY TO GET THE FOOD OBVIOUSLY RIGHT TO THE TABLE!! I saw he had an opportunity to compare the written order to the food he was handing out, so I saw with my OWN TWO EYES IT WASN’T A MISTAKE, it was PURE LAZINESS AND BEING UNCARING TOWARDS HIS CUSTOMERS!! All he cared about was his tip.

You can really tell me that you think most servers actually make sure the food is obviously right BEFORE they bring it to you? MOST DON’T in general, because they don’t care and are too lazy.

Also, completley wrong food is NOT a “SIMPLE MISTAKE”. A simple mistake is something like forgetting the salt on the rim of a glass for a margarita. Giving you mac n’ cheese instead of a baked potato is NOT a simple mistake. That is major considering it takes PREPARING in the kitchen to get those items to and you want to eat the side dish WITH your entrée the moment it gets to you HOT. Salt on the rim of a glass is simple that the bartender just has to rim another glass with salt and it doesn’t affect food being hot or anything like that. Receiving the wrong food is not simple as far as MOST NORMAL customers are concerned. THEY DO think it’s major.

“lets continue to make this world a better place by leaving a good tip on the basis of “if they get my food right or not”!”

You aren’t making it a better world to pay them to not try their best, are you? POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE REINFORCEMENT is the KEY to getting good service. When you get punished, you are more likely not to do that bad thing again. When you get praised, you are more likely to do that good thing again. In your case, you praise for bad, so the bad keeps happening again and again.

“Maybe if people had more respect and were more understanding of others then they would appreciate things more and not get so worked up and freak out because their meal was not correct.”

Maybe if servers like that waiter would have truly TRIED his best, we would have tipped better even to have seen he would have tried for real, but he didn’t. Don’t you get it’s not a “MISTAKE” A LOT of the times, it’s a lack of EFFORT AND CARING as to WHY you get food obviously wrong to your table from YOUR server?

What’s to “RESPECT” if they don’t “RESPECT” your TIME, MONEY, and HUNGER? They aren’t being caring towards the customer to not have taken one second of EFFORT in their job.

Maybe if servers actually TRIED their best, they’d get RESPECT back in the tip, not just verbally. Also, you act like servers say they are sorry. Even my husband once had a baked potato forgotten, which he was VERY NICE just simply reminded her about it, she NEVER ONCE SAID SHE SORRY, then you talk about “RESPECT”, LOOK at the servers that don’t give respect to US, then we say “Thank you ” even when they don’t say they are sorry. It’s US that respects them, not the other way around.

If you can see the wrong thing within 2-5 seconds of the food being put in front of you, sorry, but that really shows lack of effort and it doesn’t appear to be a mistake, because mistakes are when you actually have verified things BEFORE BRINGING them out and just happen to miss it. That waiter that gave my husband fried shrimp w/fries didn’t at ALL compare his written orders to the food *WHEN* he was handing out the plates of food aimlessly. I expect that type of service at a McDonald’s, NOT at a non-fast food restaurant where there is tipping involved.

A LOT of the servers don’t try their best, so WHY give them any respect as far as IN THE TIP goes? While I still say “Thank you” when they forgot my ranch, I don’t usually hardly ever get a sorry. I don’t get why either, because I am not a mean person. I ask for things nicely and say “thank you” when they bring them to me. I have been to restaurants for the first time even in different states and still got servers that didn’t apologize for forgetting condiments. You talk about respect, that’s a lack of RESPECT!! The customers should ALWAYS get an apology when something is the server’s fault as to why the mistake happened, but yet, most servers don’t apologize for their mistakes. They don’t want to admit they are wrong to have a bad tip, but they should realize that by admitting fault like that, they get a BETTER tip, because we already KNOW who is at fault for wrong food, duh!! If that waiter would have not said he was sorry, he would have gotten 12% or so. Apologizing helps tremendously in getting a good tip, of course as long as the actions go with the apology.

“The fact of the matter is, people make mistakes. Whether or not some one brings me a burger instead of a steak, or corn instead of french fries, it does not effect my tipping out at the end of my meal!”

As I said before, MOST of the time, it’s not a mistake, it’s LACKS OF EFFORT AND BEING CARING that make things like that get to the customer’s table.

10. Cassey says:

Respect is earned too…

Its not a case of working hard or hardly working. Its about what a cheap ass will and wont pay for. In this case you obviously care about just the food being correct and trying to make some one feel like crap for not getting your food order right..heaven forbid.

Here is an exercise you can try, go ask your husband if last time he went to the strip club if he only gave the stripper 20% of the dollar stage dances he got, or 20% of the total of the lap dances he got. See what he says..i would almost guarentee he paid in full 🙂

11. Springs1 says:

Casey
    “Promoting laziness would be continuing to eat out night after night at a resturaunt instead of going to the grocery store and buying food to COOK A MEAL YOURSELF, instead of having some one “cater to you”.”

We don’t eat out every night, but I do agree the people that DO, are too lazy to cook. I am too lazy to cook. This is not about cooking or not cooking, this is about doing a JOB that you DO GET PAID for by the customer to do CORRECTLY!!

Promoting laziness IS paying someone well to do a poor job. Teach them by paying them well when they do well and paying them lousy when they do poorly. Promoting laziness is what you do to pay someone well to hand you the wrong food by not even taking ANY EFFORT into verifying WTF they are taking you as far as when YOUR SERVER brings you your food.

“And i am sure there is a class you can take on proper Etiquette and it will teach you that chewing is not only proper, but can also prevent chocking on your burger and fries.”

This is all to say that you don’t have anything back to say at me, because you KNOW in your heart of hearts, I am RIGHT and you are WRONG in doing what you do to make laziness happen to other innocent people that DO mind that they get the wrong food for example. That’s what I call being selfish to not even think of that you can help OTHERS not get bad service by reporting the ones that are bad. I helped get 3 servers fired. I SAVED customers from the bad service. I actually HELPED in promoting better service by not tipping them at all and getitng them in trouble with their boss, which led them to get fired. All you are about is yourself. At least I CARE about other people. I have even reported bad service to places I have never gone back to even. WHY? The main reason is to say WHY I gave the bad tip or no tip and second of all, it was to IMPROVE other people’s service. At least I care about other people besides just myself and you talk about respect.

Chewing on a burger and fries has NOTHING to do with respect!! That was just STUPID to mention!! You have no come back, so you had to make-up some stupidness. It’s hilarious, it really is.

“Its not a case of working hard or hardly working. Its about what a cheap ass will and wont pay for.”

NO, it’s not about cheap asses. We tip very well when we have good service. It’s all about NO MISTAKES in my service by at least giving it a TRY to get it right by taking some *****EFFORT***** instead of none like that waiter did by giving my husband fried shrimp w/fries instead of crawfish au gratin w/baked potato. That waiter took ZERO EFFORT! If we were “CHEAP ASSES that wouldn’t pay” we wouldn’t have paid him 17% for his major mistake, now would have we? Think about that. 17% is not a bad tip like 10% is. I don’t get why you think this is about MONEY? This is all about PERFECT SERVICE, NO MISTAKES, NO PROBLEMS, NO BS!! I would rather ANYDAY pay someone 30% to give me wonderful service than to leave zero to be miserable. The saving money isn’t worth it. I want the person to do as I would do which would be to **CARE** if they want YOU to CARE about their money at the end. They don’t care about you, WHY should care about them much?

This has ZERO to do with saving money. This has EVERYTHING to do with I want PERFECT SERVICE if I can have it, which I have gotten it lots of times before in my lifetime. I don’t want the crap in my service. I don’t want the server to not CARE if they mess up by at least TRYING. I HATE when servers don’t write orders down, then forget. That’s just pure laziness not to write down orders. Then, they wonder why their tip is crap, well LOOK at how little work they put in. They don’t realize how stupid they were not to put their ALL into the service, because it would have paid off for people like us that DO pay servers well when they do well.

“In this case you obviously care about just the food being correct and trying to make some one feel like crap for not getting your food order right..heaven forbid.”

NO, they make us feel like crap when a lot of the times they can’t say they are sorry. Yet, I still say “Thank you” when they have fixed the problem, but YET, STILL NO SORRY to speak of out of their mouth. Then they wonder why the tip is even lower, when they know they weren’t nice enough to apologize, but don’t even think of that, do they?

Answer this: “WHO THE HECK WANTS THEIR FOOD WRONG, HUH?” Even at fast food places people don’t want their food wrong. They want PERFECT SERVICE with NO PROBLEMS if possible. WHO WANTS THINGS TO NOT GO RIGHT, HUH? I don’t know ANYONE, DO YOU?

WHY shouldn’t I care about my food being right? What’s the point of tipping then if you don’t get to score it at the end, good or bad or mediocre. WHY go out to eat to begin with if the food ends up being wrong? I know if I could tell the future to know I’d get my food wrong, I, for sure, wouldn’t go, which most normal people unlike the likes of you wouldn’t either.

I don’t just care about my food being right, I also care about the service as a whole with all the other things like the CHECK being right, not waiting 10 minutes to get things you ask for that are in their control such as a refill or the check or to get the check rung up, etc. Getting the order correct is the main thing, but is FAR from the only thing that matters.

“trying to make some one feel like crap for not getting your food order right..heaven forbid.”

We aren’t mean to the servers. We just nicely state what is wrong. The tip is where we get them, NOT VERBALLY.

Honestly, the ones that are mean for obvious mistakes, well what does the server expect if they didn’t ONCE, NOT ONCE, TAKE THEIR WRITTEN ORDER and compare it to the plate of food? That is how it appears when you get a very obvious mistake(wrong food) to the table for example. Should they never fussed at for being uncaring and lazy? While we don’t fuss at them, some people do. What sucks is some people fuss at them for things they cannot control, which makes no sense to me such as if they steak is a little undercooked if they put in the order correctly. We don’t do that, because we know they cannot control if the cook didn’t follow the ticket correctly due to they would have had to cut it open to know it was cooked incorrectly.

It’s like they act like it’s McDonald’s. You don’t just bring out the food from the kitchen. You ALWAYS VERIFY the food if they have the correct food plated at least BEFORE leaving the kitchen. Any person with common sense and that wants to make a lot of money would put some EFFORT into their job instead of being too lazy to check over the plate for obvious mistakes that you don’t have to touch the person’s food to notice the mistake if you took the order that is.

Shouldn’t they feel like crap they got your order wrong? Shouldn’t they CARE they got it wrong if they want a GOOD TIP? Shouldn’t they say they are sorry if they messed up?

12. Cassey says:

Well Kudos to you, you kept this one short and that being said, i didnt fall asleep.

Opinions are never wrong or right. They are like assholes, everyone has one. To tell a person there opinion is wrong is such is a sign of agression and confrentation.

“That’s what I call being selfish to not even think of that you can help OTHERS not get bad service by reporting the ones that are bad. I helped get 3 servers fired.”

Come backs are not needed when common sense is applicaple.

13. Springs1 says:

Cassey
    “How is that not selfish?? getting some one fired for what?? You got some one fired for your OWN pleasure! And that is selfish!”

NO, that is to HELP OTHER PEOPLE as well NOT go through the HELL they put US THROUGH!! THAT IS THE TRUTH!!

Also, if we plan to never go back to the restaurant, HOW is that selfish? It doesn’t benefit us if we never go back. What it does do though, is it keeps that horrible, mean server away from other people at that restaurant.

Got 2 waitresses fired for being rude. Got another one fired for stealing(purposely not returning my friend’s change $9 by refusing to, which she claimed she didn’t have a change bank and she also gave the empty gift card back to me instead of the one I had money), all because we called the manager on her, she retaliated.

It’s not selfish if you want to get them back for what they did to you, that’s just retaliation and JUSTICE!! What’s fair for them to do is just as fair for customers to do back. Karma is what it’s called.

“Opinions are never wrong or right.”

That is very TRUE!! However, what A LOT of what I said wasn’t opinons such as that we aren’t cheap asses. That it’s truly not about the money, it’s all about that we want nothing to go wrong in the service. If it does, it should be handled in a caring manner. Most servers don’t care, so then their tip really reflects how they were to the customer, at least for us it does and I would think most people would feel the same.

This wasn’t an opinion of any kind. The FACT is, most people will tip based on if their server or another server got their food right. THAT IS A FACT, NOT AN OPINION!!

“Come backs are not needed when common sense is applicaple.”

That’s why I don’t see why you have any to pay someone well to get your food wrong, you are only MAKING them do that again next time around, because they won’t care next time to check over things BEFORE they bring it to you, which next time, it could be not so simple like a set of fries, it could be your whole entire entrée wrong. I bet then you won’t be saying it’s a “SIMPLE MISTAKE, only taking 5 seconds”, WILL YOU? Then, you would have WISHED you would have tipped accordingly to the mistake that was made the last time with that particular server that never LEARNED, because you paid them well ANYWAY NO MATTER WHAT THEY MESSED UP!! Common sense is knowing that you are paying someone to treat you like crap, so do you really expect them to do well if you pay them well no matter what they do?

14. Emileigh says:

Hmmmm… this has been extremely interesting to read. It makes me incredibly sad to see that someone would get so heated, rude, and angry over the subject of tipping in a restaurant. There are many more things in this life to worry about and how much of a tip you should give is not really one of them. If we are all TRULY adults here, then this little back and forth would not have lasted so long. Let’s all just learn to chill and not overreact to things that in the end really don’t matter.

I hope you all have a wonderful day and will learn to act like adults.

K thanks! 😉

15. chris says:

wow….just wow as a serve once my self i do feel where you are coming from. but also look at the area that you are serving in. where we live its what we call a walmart commmunity give me what i can get for as little as possible. usually i only got 2-3 dallor tips on 50 dallor meals….which yea i know sucks. and once again the only way that it is the servers fault is if they keyed it in wrong but if it was cooked wrong or something was brought out wrong then its the cooks fault not the server. the server keeps the table clean and the area around it. keeps your condaments on the table and as well as the drinks in your glass filled and to entertain you if u want to talk….

16. Springs1 says:

Chis
    “once again the only way that it is the servers fault is if they keyed it in wrong but if it was cooked wrong or something was brought out wrong then its the cooks fault not the server.”

HOW can you say if something was “BROUGHT OUT WRONG?” If the server that WROTE down your order brought it out wrong, that’s on THEM that they could have seen the mistake BEFORE the brought it to the customer’s table!! You have ZERO COMMON SENSE!! The kitchen staff doesn’t bring food to your table, DUH!!

Putting it into the computer has NOTHING to do with what is ON THE PLATE YOU MORON! STUPID IDIOT!! You can *SEE* if my plate has a side of ranch or mac n’ cheese!! You aren’t blind, don’t pretend like you are. You must need some glasses or something, because any idiot can tell the difference between crawfish au gratin and a baked potato vs. fried shrimp w/fries. He didn’t key it in wrong. Our waiter actually ***ADMITTED*** GRABBING THE WRONG entrée from the kitchen, so how about that? He admitted FAULT, so HOW ABOUT THAT? It was because it WAS HIS FAULT HE BROUGHT OUT THE WRONG FOOD, DUH!! It wasn’t that our waiter “KEYED IT IN WRONG YOU MORON”, it was that he BROUGHT OUT THE WRONG FOOD!!! We have also had servers key in the wrong food and actually were STUPID and LAZY enough not to compare the written orders to the plates of food, so they actually made 2 mistakes ALL BY THEMSELVES. The kitchen staff didn’t control them bringing the food out or keying in the food. You have ZERO COMMON SENSE to speak of. HOW STUPID ARE YOU?

If the customer can notice it’s wrong without TOUCHING ONE THING, so could have your server if they brought you your food. If it’s another server, if the ticket is correct, then if it’s an obvious mistake, it’s that other server’s fault unless it is sides or bottles of condiments, because those can always be offered to bring out ahead of time to avoid someone else or the original server from forgetting. You HOPEFULLY wrote down the order for a reason, which it wasn’t just to put the order into the computer.

With your attitude, I might as well go grab my food from the kitchen and leave my server OUT of the equation, because there’s no point in paying my server if they don’t ****CARE***** about WTF they are BRINGING ME if it’s OBVIOUSLY right or wrong.

If something is cooked wrong that you can *SEE* with your eyes without having to touch the food it’s cooked wrong, YES, it’s the fault of the person that brought it out unless it is another server that the original server put in the order wrong.

You can tell if bacon is crispy or not if it’s not covered up by anything.

This is crispy bacon, so if the customer asked for it crispy, that’s ok to attempt to serve them.

The picture below is SOGGY, so if the customer ordered it crispy, A CARING, NON-LAZY server would tell the cook to cook the bacon more, because it’s not crispy.

It sure is the server’s fault if they serve me soggy bacon that’s in the second picture if I order it crispy. They can catch the mistake BEFORE you, that’s the point of tipping, because it’s not like McDonald’s where they just hand you anything and don’t care.

17. The tipping idea has run its course. Most people today can not understand it. They’ve become cold and callous. They don’t want to be cost analysts. They are greedy. Even the stereotypical Democratic Liberal is actually a cheap s.o.b. when it comes time to tip. The first of these big corporate restaurants that stops the tipping game and begins to price the food and service right will win big, change the entire game, make the workers and the customers feel better about themselves and overall take society to the next level. Not a new level of mislabeled mediocrity, but the actual. next. level. The real problem is that the cheap and abusive owners actually enjoy paying the lowest wages. It is true. The cheap and abusive owners actually enjoy paying the lowest wages because it makes them feel better about themselves. When the customers don’t tip well and the good servers quit it makes the owner feel better about herself because she can imagine that she is somehow above the server and able to avoid the demeaning interaction with the nasty customer. When the managers are all stressed because they can’t find any good servers to hire it actually makes the owner feel better about himself. This continues until somebody steps up and stops the tipping game. Can you imagine any other industry using the tipping game? How about NBA players accept $12,000 per year plus tips if they play well?

18. When the server arrives with the receipt folder, they are instantly heaped with an uncomfortable amout of praise. For the server, this foretells a cheap tip. “It’s just that experience has shown me that customers who heap verbal tribute upon their servers often do so at the expense of financial tribute,” Dublianca writes after he gets stiffed by a patron.

Your Reply